Living and working in beautiful rural Cambridgeshire, I have the good fortune to enjoy good health and help others to improve theirs. With great initiatives like the local walking programme, our community has many opportunities to live well. Being well isn't about hard-to-follow programmes or logging your every move. It's about daily self-care. There are Five Pillars of Health that can promote wellness and well-being:
- Adequate Breathing
- Balanced Diet
- Moderate Exercise
- Restful Sleep
- Positive thinking
We will be exploring each pillar in more detail in future articles, but here are six simple rituals to get you started today:
1. Drink a glass of water when you wake up. Your body loses water while you sleep, so you’re naturally dehydrated in the morning. A glass of water when you wake helps start your day fresh. When do you drink your first glass of water each day?
2. Define your top 3. Every morning ask yourself, “What are the top three most important tasks that I will complete today?” Prioritise your day accordingly. What’s your "Top 3" today?
3. The 50/10 Rule. Solo-task and do more better by working in 50/10 increments. Work for 50 minutes on only one important task with a 10 minute break before the next task. You can spend your 10 minutes getting away from your desk, going outside, calling friends, meditating, or grabbing a glass of water. What’s your most important task for the next 50 minutes?
4. Move daily. Regular movement keeps us healthy and alert. It boosts energy and mood, and relieves stress. Most mornings go for a walk, do some simple stretching at your desk and/or go to a yoga class. How will you move today?
5. Express gratitude. Gratitude fosters happiness which is why some people keep a gratitude journal. Every morning, they write out at least five things they're thankful for. In times of stress, you can pause and reflect on 10 things your grateful for. What are you grateful for today?
6. Reflect daily. Bring closure to your day through 10 minutes of reflection. Ask yourself, “What went well?” and “What needs improvement?” So... what went well today? How can you do more of it?
Every day we need physical energy, mental clarity, and emotional balance to tackle everything that comes our way. Self-care is the secret to living well. Implementing these six rituals and practising the five pillars of health will help you achieve and maintain well being. Enjoy...